I had the pleasure of taking an Italian cooking class at the same vineyard I went to in June. I remember the apericena (heavy appetizers) they prepared was absolutely delicious and Josephine and I decided it would be a lot of fun to take this class together. There were a couple other students at the Italian school, and Anna, the cook, is hilarious and so spirited. She made it what it is!
****I decided to video everything as much as I could so I could really re-create these things at home, and YOU could too if you wanted!
I’m still in the process of finishing uploading all the videos to YouTube, but will also update my ‘Recipes’ section of this blog once they’re complete. 🙂 You’re welcome!
That night, we made:
- Fileja, a traditional pasta local to Calabria made of only flour, semolina, and water
- Fried eggplant (which was like eggplant parmesan, but without the mozzarella and being layered and baked)
- Potato croquettes (fried)
- A delicious sweet, red onion spread you put atop bread as an appetizer
- A chocolate cake made with red wine – DELICIOUS!
We enjoyed the process (with lots of laughter)!
Did you know…you can peel a potato by simply boiling the whole thing, and after 30/40 min. you could just peel the skin right off!? In the Potato croquettes video, you’ll enjoy seeing/hearing our amazement!
Did you know…they make cool cutting boards that hug the edge of your table/work space!? I’ve GOT to get one of these! So cool!
This was our meal at the end and it was DELICIOUS! Their homemade wine was too.
This family is so sweet and I enjoyed our time together.